Common questions about owning a PostNet franchise
How much does a PostNet franchise cost?
PostNet is a low-cost investment opportunity with a proven business model that offers high potential returns. The total investment necessary to begin operating a PostNet franchise ranges from $169,767 to $212,275. PostNet owners start with a minimum in liquid capital, and the rest of the franchise cost is leasing packages, equipment packages and business loans.
The PostNet investment is made up of three primary components:
● A $35,000 franchise fee, which covers all of the initial assistance for store opening along with the training, education, franchise support and rights to use the brand over the 15-year term of the franchise agreement. Unlike other small business franchises, PostNet’s franchise fee is inclusive; there are no other significant tuitions, construction management or other fees added on top of the franchise fee.
● An $89,900 store development fee, which covers all of the construction, inventory supplies, fixtures and other items necessary to get the center up and running. This fee includes PostNet’s innovative First-Year Advertising Program to build awareness of your new PostNet franchise and its services in your area.
● Operating, working and startup capital is approximately $60,000, covering costs such as initial advertising and monies available to the owner-operator to cover the negative cash flow during the startup period.
What are the minimum qualifications to become a PostNet franchisee?
The most successful PostNet franchisees are those with outgoing personalities who feel a sense of fulfillment from serving and supporting small-business owners and others through their Neighborhood Business Centers. While prior business and management experience is helpful, they must have a love and skill for building relationships with customers.
On a financial level, a potential PostNet franchisee must have a net worth of at least $350,000 and be (or be able to become) liquid for a minimum of $60,000 in cash. PostNet offers assistance to secure a number of different types of financing, including SBA loans.
Does PostNet help with franchise financing?
Yes. PostNet offers complete support associated with various methods of financing, including the “SBA 7a” program and various leasing options. PostNet is also listed on the SBA’s Franchise Registry to make the process of SBA financing a smoother transaction. After you become a franchisee, a PostNet Financial Support Analyst will work with you to develop a business plan and complete the related materials necessary to be approved for your loan.
Our relationship-based culture sets us apart from any other small business franchise. Anyone can provide copying, shipping or printing services. But only PostNet creates an environment that small business owners can rely on, not just for tangible services, but for the guidance, direction, problem-solving and support that we are equipped to provide. Other differentiators include:
● Convenience: PostNet centers are located closer to where customers live and work in the interior of neighborhoods and in convenient retail locations.
● Consultative, Personalized Service: Each PostNet location is owned and operated by a local business owner, which means our franchise owners understand first-hand the day-to-day challenges small business owners face and are personally invested in the local partnerships they serve. We are a local business partner that truly cares about our customer’s success by delivering the right solutions that meet their printing, shipping and marketing needs.
● Freedom of Choice for Customers: Unlike a traditional postal franchise or mailbox franchise, PostNet offers a multi-carrier selection. While the UPS Store® offers only UPS services and FedEx Office only offers FedEx services, every PostNet center is a UPS®, FedEx® and DHL® authorized shipping outlet. PostNets can serve customers who are loyal to all three of the major brands, and also offer a complete line of postal services. PostNet is supported on the UPS, FedEx and DHL locator systems, and these companies send their customers to PostNet centers, whereas the UPS Store (for example) is only listed on the UPS store locator online and through their 800 number. Being a multi-carrier outlet allows PostNet to offer freedom of choice for customers.
● Professional, User-Friendly Environment: PostNet’s store design, proprietary signage and merchandising set us apart by creating a bright, professional and user-friendly environment that is engineered to be efficient and deliver a great service experience for PostNet customers.
● World-Class Leadership and Support: Our senior management team and founders are extremely well-known and recognized worldwide for their involvement and leadership in the franchise industry. In fact, our CEO served as Chair of the International Franchise Organization and is looked upon as a leading authority on growing and supporting a successful franchise system.
How much are royalties and advertising contributions?
PostNet’s royalty payment, which covers the ongoing service and support from PostNet headquarters, is 5 percent of gross sales. Royalties give the store owner access to PostNet’s Approved Vendor programs, which offer significant discounts, benefits and advantages, as well as PostNet’s ongoing world-class service and support.
The national advertising contribution is 2 percent, which helps support a number of national advertising campaigns on an annual basis, as well as locator systems and other system-wide advertising, marketing and public relations initiatives designed to support the success of your PostNet franchise.
How much money can I make as a PostNet franchisee?
The beauty of owning your own business is that you control your own success. As a PostNet franchise owner, you have many built-in advantages in today’s marketplace, including the pent-up demand for our unique services. Our support systems and programs have proven to be successful in hundreds of PostNet franchises around the world. However, the financial return you will realize as an owner depends on how well you perform and follow the systems provided to you. Your success will also depend on circumstances including local economics and costs, competition, and how aggressively you market yourself and your business.
Once you apply for a franchise, you will have the opportunity to speak with numerous franchisees to learn about their experience and satisfaction with the PostNet brand, including the financial performance of their own franchises. By speaking with franchisees, you will be able to better understand the potential of the business and what is necessary to be successful.
Do I have to find the location on my own?
Knowing how important it is to find the ideal site for your franchise, PostNet is with you every step of the way, from identifying a location through the opening of your business. We have a full-service approach that starts with our Real Estate Department working with you and local real estate professionals to identify every location in your market that meets PostNet’s criteria. This criteria includes physical attributes of the locations, such as access, visibility, signage, tenant mix and traffic patterns. It also includes a demographic review looking at the population and makeup of the trade area around the proposed location.
Ultimately, the location is selected by the franchisee with PostNet’s assistance, and then it is up to PostNet to approve your site. Once the location is identified, PostNet offers assistance through the lease negotiation, which culminates in the execution of a lease for your new business location.
How big is the typical PostNet center?
The average center is 1,000 to 1,200 square feet. However, we have centers as small as 700 square feet and larger stores that range upward to 2,000 square feet. The PostNet concept is flexible, and the size of your center will depend not only on your plans, but also on the availability of locations in your market.
How will I compete as a PostNet franchisee in the design, copy, printing and shipping segment?
The more than $380 billion combined market for copying, printing and shipping services presents a tremendous opportunity for PostNet franchisees to stand out above all other players. Our user-friendly center design, our relationship-based culture, our unparalleled support programs and services, along with the best franchisees in the business, continue to position PostNet as a leader in the marketplace. We are the only brand in the industry to carve a niche as a neighborhood business center, located conveniently in the heart of neighborhoods within communities. With all of those value-adds to customers, PostNet continues to lead the pack in serving the fastest-growing segment of business today: small and micro businesses, including small office home office (SOHO) workers, home-based businesses, retail and service businesses and road warriors (traveling businesspeople).
Will I need employees for my printing franchise? If so, how many?
Yes. Initially, an owner-operator of a franchise will typically have one to two part-time or full-time staff members to help with the operation of the store, depending on the time of year and business volume. As the business grows, and as you build a customer base, more employees and staff will be necessary. Our highest-volume locations have four to six full-time staff members, including the franchisee.
What are the hours of operation?
Typical hours of a PostNet Center begin between 8:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. and end between to 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Most stores are typically open for half a day on Saturdays between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. and are closed on Sundays. Many PostNet Centers also offer 24-hour access to the private mailboxes, but it is not a requirement.
What about marketing? Will PostNet assist me with marketing my franchise?
Absolutely. PostNet places a high priority and invests significantly in marketing programs to help support PostNet franchisees from their opening stage and ongoing. Support services include:
● Local center marketing resources, tools, expertise, guidance and support
● Access to marketing technology platforms
● Matching funds program
● Public relations support
● Vendor support
How long does it take to get a PostNet printing franchise open?
Once a franchise has been awarded, it usually takes approximately 90 to 180 days. This depends largely on the real estate that is identified. In the case of a newly constructed shopping center, the timeframe could be longer.
How can I get a copy of PostNet’s Franchise Disclosure Document?
To receive a copy of PostNet’s Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD), please submit the Information Request form at the upper right, and you will begin our franchise evaluation process. If you would like to speak with a representative now, call 866-379-5649 or text us at 720-330-4598.
What is the PostNet franchise investigation process? How long does it take?
PostNet has designed a mutual investigation process to determine if PostNet and the potential franchisee are a good fit. Should you decide to enter the process, you will participate in a series of informative discussions that will illustrate the strength and value of the PostNet organization and franchise opportunity.
This four- to six-week process will culminate in a meeting at PostNet World Headquarters in Denver, Colorado, where we and you will decide whether you and PostNet are a good fit.